We’ve all heard how breastfeeding is recommended by almost everyone and why it’s the best way to feed our babies, but let’s face it: Not every mom can get up and feed the baby on demand 24/7. One of the ways to help us ease into this is pumping. There are so many good reasons why we should consider doing it.
Why Pump Breastmilk?
- It is a good way to store breastmilk and make sure our baby is fed this way when we have to be away for awhile -- and that means either when we have to go back to work or just simply take a few moments in the shower without worrying that the baby will cry for more breastmilk.
- Our baby is unable to feed directly from our breast
- We’re interested in donating to a milk bank or a milk exchange program
So how do we do it?
If you’re into breastfeeding more but thinking of pumping in between:
- While most moms pump in the morning, it really always depends on our bodies. There are some who produce more milk at night. It’s important for us to always observe and take notes how our bodies respond. If we produce more milk at night, it will help to work our pumping schedule around that.
- Pump between breastfeeding, it can be an hour before or after feeding.
- If baby demands feeding right after pumping, just let them. Some babies are patient enough to just feed longer until they get enough milk.
If you’re planning on focusing exclusively on pumping:
- Pumping 8-10 times is ideal for a 24 hour time period. One full pump sesh could go up to 25-35oz.
- While it may take some adjustments in the beginning, it will be very helpful for you to maintain your pumping schedule at the same level and scheduling it based on your and your baby’s usual routine throughout the day.
The baby will arrive in a few weeks and I need to know how to start pumping. What do I do?
- Research. Educate yourself on what pumping product will work best for you, could be a recommendation of other momma BFFs who have tried it.
- Get yourself the right undergarments. This will make the transition easier for you and to avoid spending too much time panicking. Our usual, pre-pregnancy undergarments and clothes won’t work well for us during this time.
- Our reco: Get yourself a pair of our LENNOX Nursing and Pumping Bra! YUP! This bra is specifically designed to aid pumping mommas like you. You can now wear actual nursing bra that also doubles as a discreet pumping bra you do not have to take off for pumping. Just insert your pump shields and you’re good to go!
- Make sure that you always have working batteries inserted to your pump AND spare batteries placed in your bag when you’re not at home.
- It will always feel weird or tricky to do at first but once you get the hang of it, it will be easier for you. Just relax and know that it’s always different from one mom to another, so listen to your instincts and know what works best for you. :)